If you haven’t noticed JOY has become the focus of my life and business over the last several years. I created a whole company around it, LIVE-JOY, LLC. Live-Joy stands for Live Healthy on Purpose and Choose Joy Every Day! I created my life coaching business around this, and a bi-monthly subscription box called the JOY BOX. When people think of me, they think of JOY which I think is the greatest complement. But do you know the difference between JOY and Happiness? I know a lot of times we use these two words interchangeably. But there is a difference! Happiness is external, and the feeling is based on circumstances or what “happens to you”. Happiness is an emotional response to a situation. A lot of times happiness is results driven.
But joy is not based on your circumstances, the source of joy is within ourselves. Joy is a choice that you make every day and in every situation. Joy is that deep belly feeling, that feeling of butterflies, that sometimes-overwhelming feeling of pure excitement/love. I know it’s hard to describe but you know what I am talking about! Joy lasts longer than fleeting happiness.
Now can you be joyful without feeling happiness? Yes, you sure can if you choose it! That is the best part of joy, it’s a choice. Life will always have its ups and downs. There will always be challenges and things that make you unhappy, but you can always choice joy.
Creating a joy list is a great way to continuously choose joy. I like to keep it in my “notes” section on my phone so when I feel my energy shifting, I can read my joy list and refocus.
I challenge you this week to create a list of 10 things that bring you Joy! Think about the things that really get your heart pumping.
Here are some of mine:
- Getting up early before everyone else, having coffee, working out, and watching the sunrise either on my porch or while I walk
- Family time- Real time together not on our electronics, being present having fun together.
- The beach- no description needed lol.
- Meditating- This helps me feel present and teaches me to control my thoughts.
- Having structure in my day.
- My dog- dogs truly are the best.
- Connecting with friends and family.
- Helping people achieve their goals.
- Traveling and seeing different places with my family.
- Healthy food- I love the energy I have.
- Learning something new, I am always looking for ways to grow.