I had no idea that this week exists, and I guess it’s kind of sad we have to have a week dedicated to “being a kind human” when we should all be kind humans every day. But I thought it was a good opportunity so share some benefits of being kind and then some ideas that you could do to spread kindness this week and every week. There are lots of benefits of being kind that you may not have known.
Seven Benefits of Being Kind
- Being kind is good for your heart. Oxytocin, which we now know is boosted by being kind, also expands blood vessels, which reduces blood pressure.
- Kindness boosts your immune system. Again, oxytocin, is our brain’s feel-good hormone, and reduces inflammation. Inflammation is linked to all kinds of diseases in the body, including diabetes, cancer, chronic pain, obesity, and migraines.
- Kindness can reduce anxiety. When you are doing something nice for someone else you are thinking about how they feel and how you can brighten their day, not about what you are anxious about.
- It’s good for your mind. According to The Mayo Clinic, Physiologically, kindness can positively change your brain. Being kind boosts serotonin and dopamine, which are neurotransmitters in the brain that give you feelings of satisfaction and well-being and cause the pleasure/reward centers in your brain to light up. Endorphins, which are your body’s natural pain killer, also can be released.
- Spreading kindness increases empathy and compassion. When you focus on being kind and spreading kindness you are naturally being compassionate towards others.
- Kindness gives you energy. According to a study from UC Berkley, it was reported that people feel stronger and more energetic after helping others; many also reported feeling calmer and less depressed, with increased feelings of self-worth”
- Kindness is teachable. Why is this a benefit, because it is a skill that you can learn so that means EVERYONE has the ability to be kind!
Now that we know some of the benefits for being kind, I want to challenge everyone to spread kindness this week! Aug 25th- Aug 31st is Be a Kind Human week, let’s commit to 5 acts of kindness this week. I truly believe this world needs more kindness, so much so I add an act of kindness to every Joy Box in hopes to spread as much kindness as possible. I have attached a great print out of some acts of kindness but also here are just a few.
- Buy coffee or lunch for someone you know or don’t know
- Hand out water to homeless people
- Pick up trash in your neighborhood or local park
- Bring your neighbors trash can in after trash day
- Write a gratitude note so someone you are grateful for
- Donate clothes to a shelter
If you accept this challenge, I would LOVE to hear what 5 things you did during Be a Kind Human week. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell me your acts of kindness.